X11 expert help needed

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 28 19:49:06 CEST 2011

On Monday 18 July 2011 22:43:20 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently comparing our FindX11.cmake with the one in current cmake.
> Our copy is in kdelibs/cmake/modules/, CMake's is in its Module/ directory.
>
> There are some things our version checks for, which the one from cmake
> doesn't, and vice versa.
> Also, we append more of the libs to the X11_LIBRARIES variable.
>
> Is this good ?
> Should the stuff we do just be merged into the cmake version ?
> Can somebody who knows more about X11 please have a look at these two files,
> one in kdelibs, the other one in cmake 2.8.5 or git HEAD ?
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=summary
>
> Helping hands are very appreciated :-)
I just had a look at the diff. As far as I have seen the KDE version includes checks for
* XSync
* Xkbfile
* SM

For XSync I can find a
#ifdef HAVE_XSYNC
in kde-workspace/kwin/client.cpp No idea if it is really required, but at least it's used. Though I
cannot find a check in either the toplevel or kwin's CMakeLists.txt.

Xkbfile is used by the keyboard KCM and is checked in kde-workspace CMakeLists.txt
  if(NOT X11_Xkbfile_FOUND)
    macro_log_feature(X11_Xkbfile_FOUND "libXkbfile" "X11 keyboard layout library"
"http://xorg.freedesktop.org" TRUE "" "Needed for keyboard modules.")
  endif(NOT X11_Xkbfile_FOUND)

SM sounds like it would be needed by ksmserver. But at least in the CMakeLists.txt I could not
find a usage.

Maybe an idea would be to git blame the file and contact the devs why they added the
checks.

In the other direction it seems like only Xi is in CMake version which is missing in KDE's. I think
it would make sense to update the KDE's one.

Cheers
Martin