extra-cmake-modules: progress on the TODO list

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jul 10 22:07:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

I made some progress on the TODO list for e-c-m:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey

Did I mention that I'd love to use the redmine issue tracker for this ?

I think the macros and the find-files which also exist in cmake are the ones
which are most urgent, so we get everything we need into CMake 2.8.6.
We should try hard to sync all the find-files we have which exist also in
cmake with the ones from cmake, so the synced versions are in cmake 2.8.6.

These are the lists for the macros:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey#Check.2A.cmake_files
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey#Generic_Macros

If there's a ? in the "Who" column, feel free to pick it up :-)

Especially MacroLogFeature.cmake needs work.
I'd really like if we could get rid of it, and improve FeatureSummary.cmake
instead.
FeatureSummary.cmake needs:
* a way to report runtime dependencies
* probably a way to report missing required dependencies.
* a clever way for setting the comments/usage/docs for the package. Maybe
split into a comment which is set by the Find-module, which says what the
package basically does, and a comment which can be set from the outside which
states why the package is needed or what it is used for in the respective
application. This may also need support for multiple such comments, e.g. if a
package is used in multiple places for different things within one project.

and this is the list of Find-modules, which also exist in cmake:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey#Exists_in_cmake

Same here, if there's a "?" in the "Who" column, feel free to pick it up :-)
Especially the ones where I added "(not me, Alex)".
What to do with them ?

Compare them carefully with the versions in cmake, and figure out what to do.
Either simply remove our version (the features our versions have probably
should be kept), or prepare a patch and post it to this list or to
reviewboard.

And we have a long list of modules which do not exist in cmake:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey#Does_not_exits_in_cmake

For the more common ones it makes sense to get them into cmake, e.g. Samba,
Sane, PulseAudio, sasl2, glib+gobject, lcms.
The story is simple: for each one there must be a maintainer to maintain it
inside cmake.

How can we get more help here ?
Anybody feels like blogging about it or something ?

Thanks