Buildsystem TODO list

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Tue Aug 23 21:34:43 UTC 2011

> > > Why not ?
> > > CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH will still be prefered.
> > > (and when using PATHS instead of HINTS it would be checked after
> > > everything else)
> >
> > But it WOULD BE CHECKED. That is all to say. I can't control anymore where
> > it looks.
>
> The Find-modules which we have or which come with cmake do that anyway.
> There is a relatively long list of standard directories, several/many of the
> Find-modules add their own custom directories where to look for stuff.

Each on of them faulty.

> This is normal cmake behaviour.

This is a normal pretty standard cmake error. Just because many people do it
doesn't make it right.

Build and Configuration Management is about predicatable and reproducable
build behaviour. Magic is bad. Uncertainty is bad. Uncontrollable behaviour is
bad.

This _normal cmake behaviour_ torpedos that. Another regression of cmake
compared to autoconf.

Mike

> Alex
Michael Jansen