An attempt at creating a reference for new developers

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Mon Aug 22 10:09:02 UTC 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 07:35:23 AM Allen Winter wrote:
> On Thursday 18 August 2011 11:54:37 AM Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I started to write on a book or however you would call it that i hope
> > oneday will be able to ease new developers into our project.
> >
> > Currently the main focus is on cmake without kde and setting up an project
> > of the size of kde manually. All the dirty little secrets like
> > visibility-hidden, export macro, how to find dependencies with cmake and
> > so on should eventually be covered.
> >
> > All that stuff will help a new dev understand how our buildsystem works.
> > When done it should be easy to add a chapter about kde and mention how we
> > solved that problem and how we use cmake.
> >
> > I am currently at about 40 pages (it is done in latex so about 30 with
> > content). The part i consider ready is the description of the cmake module
> > mode and before i go further (config mode and then adding libraries,
> > executables ...) i hope to get feedback on everything
> >
> > - style
> > - wording
> > - possible content
> > - ...
> > - whatever comes to your mind as long as its civil.
> >
> > http://uploads.michael-jansen.biz/cmake-book.pdf
>
> Neat idea.
> I read it and think you have a great start there.
>
> I like Nicolas' idea of putting it in a git repo so I can make contributions
> easier.

I pushed it to a personal scratch repository. It should show up in the next
hour under:

clone url
git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/mjansen/book.git
push url
git at git.kde.org:/scratch/mjansen/book.git

Let's work under those rules:

  - Fixing typos and grammatical stuff can go directly into master.
  - Everything else should be made in a branch and then send me a email
    and tell me to merge.

If in doubt use a branch. When coding i have the exact opposite position. Just
fix in master but i would like to keep an eye on this for uniformity and
consistency.

Mike

> Regards,
> Allen