Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 02:49:39 UTC 2011

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> So we have
> - kdesrc-build, a sophisticated perl script to download and build all of
> KDE, including dependencies, parallelization etc.
> - build-tool, a ruby script from Michael Jansen
> (http://gitorious.org/build- tool), which does something similar
> - and, the new kid on the block, CMake Superbuilds for KDE:
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/superbuild
>
> Superbuild differs from kdesrc-build and build-tool in that it is not a
> separate script, but only a set of CMakeLists.txt, which make it possible
> via CMake's ExternalProject.cmake, to create "superprojects" consisting of
> subprojects, i.e. our fine-grained git repositories, which can be built in
> one go.

I may be nitpicking, but I disagree that there is a significant fundamental
difference between Superbuild and the others. All are scripts that start
separate processes for all they do, including building the projects
(ExternalProject runs a separate 'cmake' command using execute_process).

They are all "separate scripts", written in Perl, Ruby, and CMake
respectively.

--
Nicolas