kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Aug 16 14:55:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 03:40:22PM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimarts, 16 d'agost de 2011, Oswald Buddenhagen vàreu escriure:
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:59:18AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > In my opinion, kdeinit should stay.
> >
> > try to convince lennart of that. when i suggested to add kdeinit-like
> > functionality to systemd his response was "no way". and if we ignore
> > systemd, we'll lose in the longer run.
>
> So you are going to let a guy that has stated publicly that hates KDE

where has he done that? and i mean literally, not according to your
interpretation.

> decide KDE's future?

it's a simple fact that gnome will determine the future of the linux
desktop platform, simply because they have the people working on it and
we don't.
in fact, the pragmatic solution would be dropping the kde platform and
concentrating on what we are good at: applications (and the underlying
qt-based frameworks). and a workspace, for those 50% of our community
who can believe in that plasma thingie.