qt_phonon.pri and QMAKESPEC

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Fri Apr 8 19:41:50 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 21:15:50 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 February 2011, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > We currently have some problem for people that compile phonon with a
> > distro qt. Phonon tries to install a file into the qt prefix. The file
> > is named qt_phonon.pri and is according to thiago a sign of things to
> > come namely some modularization in qt. But it is not yet there. Which
> > means if it is not installed into qt's prefix there is no way to make
> > qmake pick it up. QMAKESPEC does not work.
> >
> > First i would like to have the agreement here that installing things
> > outside of the prefix the user picked is wrong so i don't have to much
>
> You mean that phonon would, instead of installing to
> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/somewhere/, install the file to QTDIR/plugins/ ?
> Yes, I agree this is not good.
>
> > discussion with the maintainer (tried to fix such stuff before).
> > Especially since there is currently no way to make it work outside of
> > the qt prefix.
> >
> > Second i would like to raise awareness there is something that this is
> > something that is possibly on the horizon for more kde modules. I have
> > no
> > clue what that file is for btw.
>
> Is that what QMAKEPATH is for, i.e. a list of directories where qmake will
> search ?
>
> ...would be cool of Nokia would spend some effort on adding Symbian support
> to cmake, then Qt could switch to it...

And there it is back again. The file is installed into $QTDIR ... even if that
is outside of CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX the user requested for phonon. Even if that
means compiling phonon against distribution qt fails ... unless you decide to
install it into and over the distro prefix. With sudo or whatever solution
people use.

Sometimes i wonder.

And i remember to have suggested that before that file comes back to make sure
this will not happen again.

But who cares.

Mike