introduce pkg-config files

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at opensuse.org
Mon Oct 25 23:07:48 CEST 2010

On 25/10/10 21:49, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> What do you mean with "use pkg-config files" ?
> Use pkg-config to find other software or install pkg-config files for
> themselves ?

Both are OK, but more crucial is adding pkg-config files to KDE libraries.

> E.g. they can provide full dependency information, support for different
> configurations (e.g. a debug and a release build etc.), full versioning (i.e.
> installing multiple versions and find_package() will find a suitable one if
> installed), etc.
> So, while I don't have objections to installing pkg-config files, I don't see
> a big benefit in it, while I see major benefits with installing cmake
> Config.cmake files.

They are much more powerful but also harder to detect e.g. by RPM
buildsystem.

> Who should be the users of these files ?
> Other KDE applications or libs are best served with cmake's Config.cmake
> files.

Build Service (http://wiki.opensuse.org/Portal:Build_Service) would
benefit greatly from it.

>> in-place we would be able to create cross-distro packages with ease and
>> even to easily detect build requirements and autogenerate packages as well.
>
> Can you please elaborate ?

Have you read the blogpost I mentioned in my original email? Currently
main KDE4 devel package has different name in every major distro. If
pkg-config file was present then requiring symbol pkgconfig(kde4) would
be enough.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team                            Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                         19000 Praha 9
prusnak[at]opensuse.org                               Czech Republic