introduce pkg-config files

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Oct 25 18:23:01 CEST 2010

Adding the KDE Buildsystem to this discussion..

On Friday 22 October 2010 2:34:26 pm Pavol Rusnak wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Today I spoke with some KDE folks at the openSUSE Conference and we came
> to the conclusion that it would be great if all packages where it makes
> sense (mainly libraries) started to use pkg-config files. If they were
> in-place we would be able to create cross-distro packages with ease and
> even to easily detect build requirements and autogenerate packages as well.
>
> For more background you can go to
> http://stick.gk2.sk/blog/2010/10/why-is-pkg-config-the-best-thing-since-sliced-bread/
>
> What do you think about the idea?

I'm ok with the idea.

My only concern is that pkg-config files are typically installed in locations
(like /usr or /usr/local) where the regular user doesn't have write-access.
Thereby causing problems when installing KDE as a regular user.

But as long as I can still install KDE as my regular user, I don't see any reason why not.