Installing executable files

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Oct 15 04:26:21 CEST 2010

On Friday, October 15, 2010 01:03:36 Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > Recently I made all application .desktop files executable in trunk.
> > But at install time, the permissions are not copied over, so the files
> > don't end up being executable.
>
> Why system-wide .desktop files should have executable bit? I thought that
> this bit is not required for files in XDG_DATA_DIRS.

Well, it has been the "right answer" since we decided to change the behavior
regarding executable .desktop files that they should be marked with the
executable bit if they are really supposed to be executable. Allowing apps
already in XDG_DATA_DIRS (and other prefixes) was more a gesture toward
backward compatibility while maintaining adequate security. But it's still
more correct to mark files that are executable with +x.

I believe David's use case involved test installations, but the email has
already expired from my folder and I'm too lazy to look it up. :(

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne