Unable to decompress snapshot

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Thu Oct 14 04:32:03 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:08:39 Thangalin wrote:
> The decompress failed.

> 3% bunzip2: kdeutils-svn.tar.bz2 is not a bzip2 file.
> Unable to decompress snapshot for kdeutils:
> 16% bunzip2: kdegraphics-svn.tar.bz2 is not a bzip2 file.
> Unable to decompress snapshot for kdegraphics:
> 38% bunzip2: kdeplasma-addons-svn.tar.bz2 is not a bzip2 file.
> Unable to decompress snapshot for kdeplasma-addons:

kdesrc-build is trying to save time by using one of the kde.org nightly
tarball releases to start off the Subversion checkout instead of doing a "svn
checkout". I'm going to claim that my code is perfect and infallible [1] and
blame the issues on the automatically-generated tarballs.

LUCKILY you can work around the issue, by using the --disable-snapshot option
like this whenever you run kdesrc-build to checkout a module:

$ kdesrc-build --disable-snapshot=true <rest of command line options>

OR,

You can edit your ~/.kdesrc-buildrc, go to the "global" section which should
be at the top, and add the new line "disable-snapshot true". Save the file and
from now on kdesrc-build won't bother trying to download snapshots. It will
make the initial source checkout take a bit longer but has a better shot of
completing successfully.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne

[1] My code actually sucks too.