Automatic recording of required packages...

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Nov 1 20:05:58 CET 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010, you wrote:
> > Also, I'd like us to stay as close to normal cmake behaviour as possible,
> > and to use as few own cmake modules as possible (...I know I know).
> > And the behaviour we are using with macro_log_feature() would never be
> > accepted into upstream cmake. It works around the assumptions built into
> > cmake.
>
> Then cmake is fundamentally broken and refuses to fix it. When checking for
> dependencies check for all of them and tell me the results all at once.
>
> This annoying missing dependency ping pong i used to play annoyed the hell
> out of me and many frustrated wannabe devs trying to compile kde.
>
> 1. call cmake with a long line of options. It complains of missing
> dependency a.

Seriously, I don't know why a long line of options should be necessary.

To help finding stuff, set the env.var CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.
To change the buildtype, you can run "cmake-gui ." in the build dir later on.
What you usually want is a custom CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. You can set this
via -D or via cmake-gui.

What else ?