FindR.cmake needs some work

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun May 2 14:34:57 CEST 2010

On Saturday 01 May 2010, Alexander Rieder wrote:
> [...]
> >     NO_DEFAULT_PATH)
> >
> > I'd suggest you remove the "NO_DEFAULT_PATH" and replace "PATHS" with
> > "HINTS". This will have the effect that the given directories will be
> > searched first. This should be what was originally intended I think.
> > Similar for the other libraries.
> >
> > 4)
> >   FIND_LIBRARY(R_LAPACK_LIBRARY
> >     Rlapack
> >     PATHS ${R_SHARED_LIB_DIR}
> >     NO_DEFAULT_PATH)
> >   IF(NOT R_LAPACK_LIBRARY)
> >     #MESSAGE(STATUS "No, it does not exist in ${R_SHARED_LIB_DIR}")
> >   ELSE(NOT R_LAPACK_LIBRARY)
> >     #MESSAGE(STATUS "Yes, ${R_LAPACK_LIBRARY} exists")
> >     SET(R_LIBRARIES ${R_LIBRARIES} Rlapack)
> >

> > This last line is wrong. At this point, find_library() has put the full
> > path to the Rlapack library into the R_LAPACK_LIBRARY variable,
> > e.g. "/usr/lib/libRlapack.so".
> > This should be added to R_LIBRARIES instead of just "Rlapack".
> > SET(R_LIBRARIES ${R_LIBRARIES} ${R_LAPACK_LIBRARY} )
> >
> > This way also later on it will not be necessary to call
> > LINK_DIRECTORIES() and all the messing around with R_LIBDIR.
> >
> > 5) If you find all the libraries using find_library() with their full
> > path, and add them with their full path to R_LIBRARIES, I think all that
> > R_LIBDIR code can simply be removed. The link directory should then not
> > be necessary anymore (since all libraries are given with their full
> > path).
> >
> > > As for your last suggestion I don't really know where/for what to use
> > > this macro (is it inside findR or inside Cantor?), and I couldn't find
> > > any example for its use grepping through KDE. Could you give me an
> > > example on this?
> >
> > It's used a lot in the Find*.cmake files in kdelibs/cmake/modules/.
> > It's also documented, just see the cmake man page, which is also
> > available online:
> > http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#module:FindPackageHan
> >dl eStandardArgs
> >
> > Short version: the macro basically takes a number of variables as
> > arguments, checks whether they are all valid, and if so, sets the
> > <package>_FOUND variable to TRUE (and prints some status message).
> > So you probably want something like the following:
> >
> > include(FindPackageHandleStandardArgs)
> > find_package_handle_standard_args(R  DEFAULT_MSG
> >                                   R_EXECUTABLE R_INCLUDE_DIR R_R_LIBRARY)
> >
> > This will set R_FOUND to TRUE if these three things have been found
> > (R_EXECUTABLE R_INCLUDE_DIR R_R_LIBRARY). The macro also handles the
> > QUIET and REQUIRED keywords of find_package().
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > P.S. please keep kde-buildsystem on CC, so others can read that too for
> > later reference.
>
> Hi,
> thanks for your explanations.
> Here's another try of cleaning it up. Again it seems to detect R correctly,
> and Cantor compiles with it.
> Please have a look and tell me any errors I made/things I missed.

We're almost there.

1) MARK_AS_ADVANCED(R_INCLUDE_DIR, R_R_LIBRARY, R_LAPACK_LIBRARY,
 R_BLAS_LIBRARY)

The commas are wrong, just remove them. The arguments are separated simply by
the spaces.

2)
include(FindPackageHandleStandardArgs)
find_package_handle_standard_args(R  DEFAULT_MSG
                                  R_EXECUTABLE R_INCLUDE_DIR R_R_LIBRARY)

This must be at the end of the file, e.g. directly before the
mark_as_advanced(), because at the top, where they are now, R_EXECUTABLE,
R_INCLUDE_DIR and R_R_LIBRARY are empty (at least on the first run, on
following runs they are probably already in the cache at that point).

3)
ELSE( R_EXECUTABLE)
  MESSAGE(STATUS "Could NOT find R executable")

I think this is not necessary, find_package_handle_standard_args() should
already report that.

Beside that, I think it looks good :-)