BUNDLE_INSTALL_DIR

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 21:06:57 CET 2010

On 17 Mar 2010, at 19:54, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 March 2010, Mike Arthur wrote:
>> Is there any good reason for this to be set to /Applications/KDE4? It seems
>> pretty unintuitive to violate the requested CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and
>> install just the bundles here?
>
> Isn't /Applications the place where application bundles on OSX typically go ?
> Having the app bundles in /usr/local/ would be kind of strange.
> What would you suggest ?

The problem is that applications on OSX are normally completely self-contained in their bundle. So either I'd say everything has to be self-contained in the bundles or everything should go in the prefix. It's a pretty weird system at the moment that most of it goes in the install prefix except for a few bundles. It also means unless the prefix is somewhere in the PATH, chances are the bundles won't even work (this has been my experience).

Ideally we should get the OSX version so it has self-contained bundles which have been properly "fixed-up" but at the moment the number of runtime dependencies make this pretty hardcore at the moment. Hopefully some of the KDE on Mobile stuff might help with this.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur