rpath problems with kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jun 26 15:12:06 CEST 2010

On 26.06.10 13:26:29, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 21.06.10 23:30:46, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > The global settings are done in FindKDE4Internal.cmake after line 996.
> > > They can be overridden locally by projects by setting these cmake variables
> > > again or by setting the corresponding target properties.
> >
> > Yeap, thats what I've done now for kdevplatform and kdevelop, but seems
> > only one is in effect...
> >
> > > What's the complete link line for the case that you don't get an RPATH ?
> >
> > /usr/bin/c++  -fPIC  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -ansi -Wundef
> > -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith
> > -Wformat-security -fno-exceptions -DQT_NO_EXCEPTIONS -fno-check-new
> > -fno-common -Woverloaded-virtual -fno-threadsafe-statics
> > -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -O2 -g -DNDEBUG
> > -DQT_NO_DEBUG -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--fatal-warnings
> > -Wl,--no-undefined -lc  -shared -Wl,-soname,kcm_kdev_ccsettings.so -o
> > ../../lib/kcm_kdev_ccsettings.so
> > CMakeFiles/kcm_kdev_ccsettings.dir/kcm_kdev_ccsettings_automoc.o
> > CMakeFiles/kcm_kdev_ccsettings.dir/ccpreferences.o
> > CMakeFiles/kcm_kdev_ccsettings.dir/ccconfig.o
> > /usr/lib/libkutils.so.4.4.0 /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5.4.0
> > ../../lib/libkdevplatforminterfaces.so.2.0.0
> > ../../lib/libkdevplatformshell.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libktexteditor.so.4.4.0
> > ../../lib/libkdevplatforminterfaces.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libkutils.so.4.4.0
> > /usr/lib/libktexteditor.so.4.4.0 /usr/lib/libkparts.so.4.4.0
> > /usr/lib/libQtDesigner.so /usr/lib/libkio.so.5.4.0
> > /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so /usr/lib/libQtXml.so /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5.4.0
> > /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5.4.0 /usr/lib/libQtDBus.so /usr/lib/libQtCore.so
> > /usr/lib/libQtGui.so /usr/lib/libQtSvg.so
> > -Wl,-rpath,/home/andreas/src/build/kdevplatform/lib:
> > -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/andreas/src/build/kdevplatform/lib
> >
> > That looks fine to me and in fact ldd on the module in the builddir
> > finds all libs from the builddir. But when doing a make install
> > VERBOSE=1 I see:
> > -- Installing: /home/andreas/kdevelop/lib/kde4/kcm_kdev_ccsettings.so
> > -- Removed runtime path from
> > "/home/andreas/kdevelop/lib/kde4/kcm_kdev_ccsettings.so"
>
> Ping? Any further ideas on this? Could someone at least point me to the
> source code in cmake that decides wether to add RPATH_REMOVE or
> RPATH_REPLACE to the cmake_install.cmake file?

Found it already, I've patched a cmake checkout here to give some
diagnostic output and looking at the differences its apparent that for
kdevplatform the installation prefix is not added to the
"OrderRuntimeSearchPath" list in cmComputeLinkInformation, but this is
done for kdevelop targets.

The reason seems to be that when building kdevplatform there are no
libraries in the install-prefix that the to-be-built targets link
against. So it seems that this is rather a cmake bug, hence I'm cc'ing
to the cmake list (and including all the quotes).

@CMake-List readers: Am I right that cmake simply should add the
install-prefix to the ORderRuntimeSearchPath at some point during
initialization? That should help in this case (I didn't test this yet)
where a project builds multiple shared libraries and other targets
(executables or plugins) that link against those shared libs.

Andreas

--
Stay away from hurricanes for a while.