can't install kdebase, needs root

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Tue Jun 22 14:20:27 CEST 2010

> Uh, yeah, and it's somewhat ugly too.
> Can we find a better solution to this ?
> I think the last time we discussed some python stuff on kde-buildsystem I
> didn't recognize a real conclusion, I was mostly confused at the end.
>
> So, if we install python modules, where should they go by default ?
> I don't know much about python.

If you ask me python is not relevant to this question. From my CMakeCache.txt

//Install path prefix, prepended onto install directories.
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/kde4/trunk/kde

Installing anything out of that directory by default is wrong, annoying and unexpected. As thiago
more than once tried to argue.

Installing self compiled stuff into the system directoriers should never be the default because it
messes with the used distro. In this case just ignoring the given prefix and doing the dangerous
thing is a no no in my opinion. And unexpected even for an experienced user.

If python has a problem with that print a big bold red warning text with instructions how to tweak a
build or environment to fix the problem (install into /usr or set PYTHONPATH).

We don't install dbus and policykit files into the system dirs. We just print a warning it won't work
iirc. What makes python differently?

Mike