can't install kdebase, needs root

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jun 21 21:36:13 CEST 2010

On Saturday 12 June 2010, Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Samstag 12 Juni 2010 00:49:56 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Matthew Woehlke
> >
> > <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > > I've started getting this the last two days:
> > >
> > > CMake Error at
> > > workspace/plasma/generic/scriptengines/python/cmake_install.cmake:76
> > > (FILE): file cannot create directory:
> > > /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/PyKDE4. Maybe need administrative
> > > privileges.
> > >
> > > The line in question (trying to install to ${PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES_DIR})
> > > seems to have been there for some time, so I am not sure what has
> > > changed (I think, though, PyKDE was not being built before on my
> > > system, though again, I don't know why that would have changed).
> >
> > Passing the following argument to CMake when configuring kdebase
> > should be sufficient..
> >
> > -DPYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES_DIR=$KDEDIR/lib/python2.6/site-packages
>
> OR -DPYTHON_LIBS_WITH_KDE_LIBS=True
>
> Which is defined in FindPythonLibrary.cmake (kdelibs/cmake/modules) and
> makes sure everything is installed into PREFIX according to the used python
> version. But is hard to find because it is not documented and cached in
> CMakeCache.txt.

Uh, yeah, and it's somewhat ugly too.
Can we find a better solution to this ?
I think the last time we discussed some python stuff on kde-buildsystem I
didn't recognize a real conclusion, I was mostly confused at the end.

So, if we install python modules, where should they go by default ?
I don't know much about python.