KDE Package Prefixes

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 26 22:12:20 CET 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010, Mike Arthur wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm doing some packaging for KDE on OSX for Homebrew
> (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew).
>
> One of the problems I've run into is that Homebrew partitions each of it's
> installed packages into their own prefix. For example, the version of
> KDELibs I have installed (and packaged) has been installed into:
> ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0
>
> I've got KDEPIMLibs packaged and installed correctly as well. The problem
> comes along when something tries to find KDEPIMLibs.
>
> It uses the file that's at:
> ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindK
>depimLibs.cmake
>
> The problem is that, within this file, it looks for KdepimLibs in
> ${KDE4_LIB_DIR}/KdepimLibs/cmake (which expands to
> ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0/lib/KdepimLibs/cmake) where
> the file is actually in
> ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdepimlibs/4.4.0/lib/cmake/KdepimLibs.

If you set CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH so that it contains
~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdepimlibs/4.4.0/ it should be found. You are
using cmake >= 2.6.3, right ?
I build kdepim and kdebase all the time with kdepimlibs installed to a
separate directory, so it should work in your case too.

> Before I get told this is all a stupid idea, the prefix system won't change
> in Homebrew (and I happen to like it). KDE packages will have to live
> happily in different prefixes somehow. GoboLinux also has this approach but

Yes, this should work. Whenever it doesn't work, it should be fixed.