KDE Package Prefixes

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 02:07:33 CET 2010

Howdy,

I'm doing some packaging for KDE on OSX for Homebrew (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew).

One of the problems I've run into is that Homebrew partitions each of it's installed packages into their own prefix. For example, the version of KDELibs I have installed (and packaged) has been installed into:
~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0

I've got KDEPIMLibs packaged and installed correctly as well. The problem comes along when something tries to find KDEPIMLibs.

It uses the file that's at:
~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKdepimLibs.cmake

The problem is that, within this file, it looks for KdepimLibs in ${KDE4_LIB_DIR}/KdepimLibs/cmake (which expands to ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0/lib/KdepimLibs/cmake) where the file is actually in ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdepimlibs/4.4.0/lib/cmake/KdepimLibs.

Obviously I need to work around this and I'm wondering what you think would be the best way to do so. I'd rather not maintain huge patches to the KDE buildsystem out of tree as this will get messy and unmaintainable very quickly.

Before I get told this is all a stupid idea, the prefix system won't change in Homebrew (and I happen to like it). KDE packages will have to live happily in different prefixes somehow. GoboLinux also has this approach but they haven't packaged KDE4 yet.

Thoughts?
--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur