KDE CMake files cannot support mutiple ABI

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 21:01:05 CET 2010

On Monday 01 February 2010, Miguel Marte wrote:
> I need help with CMake on a multiabi system.  Using multilib-portage,
> multiple kde packages fail to compile when building for x86 ABI.  This
> is because cmake is passing 64bit libraries to link with for the 32bit
> binary.  Check the following compile line created by cmake.

Ok, so you want to build a 32bit application, but cmake gives you the 64bit
libraries.
Should the 32bit libraries be located in /usr/lib/ ?

I think this would mean that two builds of kdelibs would be installed to the
same prefix. Lots of things would be overwritten in this case, header files,
data files, executables.
Which behaviour would you expect ?
What do other projects do ?

I think until now we don't support this at all.
Right now I would recommend to install a 32bit-kdelibs e.g. to /opt/kde4-32/,
and the 64bit-kdelibs to /usr/, or something like this.