[CMake] CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Sep 29 19:24:54 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> David Cole wrote:
> >     Thanks for the info, I'll fix the project later. I believe however
> >     that I
> >     didn't see any warnings, which should now be posted if I understood
> >     correctly? Or is that part of the OLD behaviour still working?
> >

> > If you set the policty to OLD, you should just get the OLD behavior and
> > not see any warnings...
>
> This was because, to protect the KDE community from "excessive" warnings
> Alex set the policy to old in a central file.  Not sure that was a good
> idea anymore as no one using FindKDE4Internal.cmake will ever change
> their CMake lists code to update for this policy.

Well, in KDE4 we (want/have to) guarantee source and binary compatiblity for
all of KDE 4.x to KDE 4.0.0.
So any source tree which was building against kdelibs 4.0 (which required
cmake 2.4.5) must continue to build against current svn trunk (which requires
cmake 2.6.2).

Doesn't that imply that we will always need the 2.4.x behaviour for all of KDE
4.x ?
I mean, if I set some property to NEW, which may change some behaviour, the
developer may have to adjust his cmake files in order to make them work
correctly with the new behaviour.
Wouldn't that be a source incompatible change ?