Problem with dependencies

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 18:55:06 CET 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 16:42:26 Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Because of some qt problem i had to deactivate Nepomuk.
> >
> > It is a optional dependency in kdebase/runtime. Specifying
> > -DWITH_Nepomuk=0 worked (I have nepomuk compiled. onto2vocab... just
> > crashes on execution).
> >
> > It is only on the first glimpse an optional dependence in kdepim.
> > Therefore compiling kdepim with -DWITH_Nepomuk fails because it still
> > tries to use Nepomuk.
> >
> > The first problem is that kdepim tries to find Nepomuk twice:
> >
> > kdepim/CMakeLists.txt:
> > >  macro_optional_find_package(Soprano)
> > >
> >  > macro_log_feature(Soprano_FOUND "Soprano" "Semantic Desktop Storing"
> >
> > "http://soprano.sourceforge.net" FALSE "" "Soprano is needed for
> > Nepomuk")
> >
> > >  macro_optional_find_package(Nepomuk)
> > >
> >  > macro_log_feature(Nepomuk_FOUND "Nepomuk" "The Nepomuk libraries"
> >
> > "http://www.kde.org" FALSE "" "Nepomuk extends the search and tagging
> > functionalities in KMail and Akonadi")
> >
> > kdepim/akonadi/CMakeLists.txt:
> > > find_package(Soprano)
> > > macro_log_feature(Soprano_FOUND "Soprano" "Semantic Desktop Storing"
> >
> > "http://soprano.sourceforge.net" FALSE "" "Soprano is needed for
> > Nepomuk")
> >
> > > find_package(Nepomuk)
> > > macro_log_feature(Nepomuk_FOUND "Nepomuk" "The Nepomuk libraries"
> >
> > "http://www.kde.org" FALSE "" "Nepomuk extends the search and tagging
> > functionalities in KMail and Akonadi")
> >
> > Which essentially means it's not optional in the sense i can't disable it
> > when i have it installed.
> >
> > When fixing that problem locally i encountered two other problems.
> >
> > First a kdepim developer objecting to my change because Nepomuk already
> > is optional in his opinion. I think we have a problem with people
> > understanding the use case for macro_optional_find_package .
> >
> > Second It still doesn't compile because akonadiconsole these days has a
> > ui file referencing some Nepomuk Widget.
> >
> > Which leads me to the main point of this mail. We need additional
> > automatic builds imho. Builds that make sure all these optional packages
> > are really optional. Developers (me included) tend to compile only the
> > everything enabled version. Is there any chance on getting these?
>
> From my experience with maintaining the automatic builds on
> dashboard.akonadi-project.org, the problem is the considerable time needed
> to maintain those "automatic" builds. I have to intervene manually more or
> less every other day because something broke/hangs/flooded the
> disk/whatever.

As Michael already asked, can you give a bit more detail on this ?
What I can imagine in issues is
* updating required packages, e.g. Qt
* stuff hangs while executing the tests
Are there more issues ?

How are you doing these builds, are you using the ctest scripts in svn as e.g.
kdelibs/KDELibsNightly.cmake ?
If not, why not and what are you using instead ?

Do you know about my.cdash.org ?
This is hosted by Kitware and we can also set up projects there. Do you prefer
to have it hosted on akonadi-projects.org or would you also be ok with
my.cdash.org ?
I don't really care, but it would be nice if the hosting would be a long-term
solution (the Kitware one is).
Also I think we should use only one cdash install, either the one on
my.cdash.org or the one on akonadi-project.org.

I'd also like to have more projects there, e.g. kdebase, kdesupport, and
everything else what's interesting.

So what do you prefer ? Host all that on akonadi-project.org or move to
my.cdash.org (there you at least don't have to maintain the cdash
installation, and we can ask Bill about the details).