KDE/kdebase/workspace

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Wed Oct 7 18:54:19 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 11:21:39 David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 04 October 2009, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > SVN commit 1031099 by mjansen:
> >
> > Fix startkde for installations when kdelibs and kdebase/workspace have
> > different install prefixes.
> >
> > One of the problems less that make me wonder "do we really support
> >  installing kdelibs and kdebase/* into different prefixes?"
>
> I don't think we do...

We consider all of them as separate packages. So a user should have the
expectation to be able to install them into different prefixes as he won't find -
to my knowledge - any official kde rule saying ... not that won't work.

Alex Neundorf says he considers everything preventing that a bug iiuc. If we
do that kde has many bugs.

I think it makes sense to support installing parts of kde into different
prefixes. For developers anyway.

Most people don't do it and don't care or share david standpoint "i don't
think we support it".

We need a more final stance on this point. I'm fine with any decision btw. I
just want to know what is supported and what not.

Currently It is not documented that we require to install kdepimlibs, kdelibs,
kdebase/(workspace|apps|runtime) into the same prefix. We do not enforce it
from our cmake files and it runs counter to all|most other kde modules which
support beeing installed to a different prefix given sane KDEDIRS and XDG_* env
var settings.

We currently totally fail to separate the three kdebase modules and kdelibs. I
think kdepimlibs is safe to install into a different prefix. But if we keep all
kdebase modules in the same prefix and put kdelibs into it's own many third
party apps fail because they use the KDE_XYZ cmake vars instead of the
appropriate KDEWORKSPACE_ ... vars.

If we go one step further and install everything into it's own prefix really
bad things happen.

We at least should support installing kdelibs separate and should hardcode the
requirement "install all into the same prefix" into the
kdebase/*/CMakeLists.txt files.

Mike