README.kde-qt

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Nov 15 18:57:23 CET 2009

On Sunday 15 November 2009 12:47:45 Michael Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just checked kdesvn-build and README.kde-qt from our qt clone because i
>  consider them the main authorities for how to build a qt for usage with
>  kde.

Unfortunately kdesvn-build cannot be considered authoritative since it is very
rare indeed when someone else fixes up kdesvn-buildrc-sample for me (not to
mention the default settings embedded in kdesvn-build).

> Problem is they do it differently.
>
>    # typo in kdesvn-build.
>     -no-dbus ........... Do not compile the QtDBus module.
>  +  -dbus .............. Compile the QtDBus module and dynamically load

I think it used to be spelled qdbus, but good catch. :)

> Real Differences:
> #################
>
> -no-exception:
> --------------
> Disables this XmlPattern thing and makes compiling koffice and i think some
>  plasma stuff impossible. qtscriptgenerator unconditionally assumes it to
>  be set so you have to patch it to compile it. Is this still recommended?

Perhaps not, I can remove that from kdesvn-build's default.

> -plugin-sql-mysql
> -----------------
> I think this one broke akonadi/nepomuk for me. i got a crash. See
>  atachement. I vanished after i recompiled qt without it but i'm not really
>  sure it's the reason. Perhaps someone else can double check.

My understanding is that this is autodetected by configure and enabled if
present (and therefore specifying it is redundant if you have MySQL
installed). Of course if autodetected I don't think it's made a plugin but
instead compiled directly, which may be the difference.

> How about phonon?
> #################
> Do we recommend using the qt phonon these days? If yes is that how to build
>  xine plugin if using phonon from qt problem solved?

I don't know, it seems to change every 3-4 months :(

> What's bothering me is the difference between the '*' and '+' above in qt's
>  configure --help output. I can't explain or find out how these affect
>  stuff. But i would like to have the list of options as short as possible.

From qt-copy configure:
 The defaults (*) are usually acceptable. A plus (+) denotes a default value
 that needs to be evaluated. If the evaluation succeeds, the feature is
 included. Here is a short explanation of each option:

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne