Fwd: [CMake] CMake 2.8.0 RC 4 ready for testing!

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Nov 3 19:02:17 CET 2009

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 November 2009, David Faure wrote:
>> Oh wow, that rocks.
>> OK, the benefits clearly outweight the formatting change.
>
> Maybe the addfitional output could be skipped if ctest is run without -j ?

At first I found the Start lines strange too, but after just
a few days I got used to them.  When running "ctest -j 8"
it feels much more responsive to see the Start lines pop up
right away instead of waiting for tests to finish.

The current behavior resulted after a long internal discussion
during which many alternatives like the above were covered.
I'd rather not repeat the whole thing here.  The summary is that
any alternative to the current behavior requires extra code paths
which we do not want to implement or maintain.  Eventually we'll
have the interactive tty approach I described, and the problem
will go away.

-Brad