Problem with dependencies

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Nov 3 15:28:23 CET 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009 19:49:09 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009, Volker Krause wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 October 2009 18:55:06 Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > As Michael already asked, can you give a bit more detail on this ?
> > > What I can imagine in issues is
> > > * updating required packages, e.g. Qt
> > > * stuff hangs while executing the tests
> > > Are there more issues ?

got another one, I was out of the office for a few days and 'svn' just froze
for still unknown reasons, which blocked the automatic builds completely for
a few days.

> > About 20% of the maintenance is compilation issues caused by my
> > environment setup, including:
> > - wrong/outdated dependency versions (I have basically every optional
> > dependency installed)
>
> Yes, this is something we just have to live with :-/
>
> > - icecream cluster problems
>
> Hmm, but you really do want to use icecream for the Nightlys ?

yes, the faster the stuff builds the more modules I can process per night :)
I'm also very much looking forward to trying the parallel test run feature in
cmake 2.8, but there's a number of tests that need to be adapted for that
first.

> > - I currently don't delete the install dir before building, which
> > sometimes can have side-effects (I tried that, but some of the tests rely
> > on installed runtime stuff from other modules)
>
> I haven't done that neither. But this would be a simple thing to do. I hope
> once we have some experience with running these builds, some
> FreeBSD/Solaris people and hopefully later also Mac people will join.
>
> > Most of the work is needed for the tests though:
> > - some require X
>
> You do that from a cron-job, right ?
> You could run e.g. vncserver, this would provide a X display for the
> applications.

I've currently solved that by allowing access to my own X session, but that is
not is very ugly.

> > - many require D-Bus
>
> Do you start one already ?

yes

> > - several of them hang and need to be killed afterwards, some even block
> > port numbers needed by subsequent tests while hanging
>
> Yes, I saw that too. This sucks. I'd say those need to be
> changed/excluded/something.
> Do you have a list of the problematic ones ?

I can probably compile one over time, based on the kill-list in my script.

> > - some flood my /tmp directory, so this needs to be cleaned up
>
> Sounds like those tests need some work.

I haven't really figured out which ones are doing this, but I know that some
of my own ones are probably guilty here as well ;-) For now, I'm just
cleaning /tmp afterwards.

> > I've put most of that into the simple shell script that actually runs the
> > builds, but I have to add new stuff there regularly. Additionally, some
> > of the setup is not persistent and thus needs to redone when the machine
> > rebooted after a power outage etc.
> >
> > > How are you doing these builds, are you using the ctest scripts in svn
> > > as e.g. kdelibs/KDELibsNightly.cmake ?
> >
> > didn't know about that, my attempts making it proper nightly builds
> > failed so far, therefore I'm still using experiemental.
> >
> > > If not, why not and what are you using instead ?
> >
> > a simple shell script, run by cron every night
>
> I just added the script I use (haven't run it for some time now already
> again) to kdesdk/cmake/scripts/, it's "Nightly-2.6.2". Please have a look
> at it. With the obvious modifications it should run also on your system.
>
> The ctest-scripts like kdelibs/KDELibsNightly.cmake use functions from
> kdesdk/cmake/modules/KDECTestNightly.cmake.
> If something there doesn't work as you need, let me know, we'll make it
> work.

I haven't had time yet to try it, but looks reasonably easy to adapt to by
setup.

> > > I'd also like to have more projects there, e.g. kdebase, kdesupport,
> > > and everything else what's interesting.
> > >
> > > So what do you prefer ? Host all that on akonadi-project.org or move to
> > > my.cdash.org (there you at least don't have to maintain the cdash
> > > installation, and we can ask Bill about the details).
> >
> > looks like my.cdash.org already has a newer version installed than the
> > akonadi-project.org one, probably makes sense to move to that one.
>
> Ok, so let's move to my.cdash.org.

I've switched my kdelibs builds to that one, and to nightly instead of
experimental. If that works, I'll adjust the others as well and add the
missing modules.

I have now, vkrause at kde.org.

> I think you can register yourself to the projects then, i.e. kdelibs,
> kdesupport and kdepimlibs.

done for kdelibs already, I'll do it for the others as well later

> Ah, and in case you can't make yourself an admin of these projects, I'll do
> that for you :-)

I apparently can't do that myself

> I'd suggest you try with these three first and once that works we can add
> kdepim and kdebase.

yep, makes sense

regards
Volker