KDE/kdepimlibs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 16 15:23:29 CEST 2009

On 16.05.09 11:46:02, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 15 May 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 14.05.09 21:08:10, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > This is really the question.
> > > And I tend towards include/KDE/ is kdelibs.
> > > So, but while we allow non-kdelibs but KDE/ headers to be installed
> > > there, I don't see a reason why we should really enforce it ?
> >
> > Well, if we do not enforce other modules to install their camelcase
> > headers into prefix/include/<modulename> then we create even more
> > confusion IMHO. If its not enforced, then chances are good that some
> > modules still install their camelcase headers to include/KDE, which
> > means the application author is in a situation where some headers are
> > easily associated to the related module, but other are not - he'll
> > get confused because things are inconsistent.
[...]
> I have no idea how KDE and KDEPimLibs come into play here. Is the
> question whether the Message header should be in
>   <prefix>/include/KDE/KMime/
> or
>   <prefix>/include/KDEPimLibs/KMime/
> ?

Its about this.

> In the former KDE(PimLibs)?/KMime case it would be completely
> transparent for the application developer whether the KMime headers are
> in KDE or KDEPimLibs because he will simply add
>   include_directories( ${KDEPIMLIBS_INCLUDE_DIR} )
> to his CMakeLists.txt and not have to worry about the actual location of
> the KMime directory containing KMime's headers.

Right, Alex point is that for the application developer trying to find out
where KMime/Message comes from, i.e. what module, its easier if we have it
under KDEPimLibs and not under KDE. However, this would create
inconsistency for too little gain, IMHO. The problem is KDE/ is there
already, some already-released modules put their headers there so they
can't change now. Hence if we start to move new camel-case headers into
<prefix>/include/<modulename>/<libraryname>/<header> now, we end up with
some modules following that style, but others following another style.
Hence at the end the application developer still needs to go hunting for
the right module himself in some cases.

Andreas

--
You have been selected for a secret mission.