KDE/kdepimlibs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 13 07:24:03 CEST 2009

On 12.05.09 21:54:02, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle martedì 12 maggio 2009, Christophe Giboudeaux ha scritto:
> > 5/ Considering 1,2 and 3, I still didn't read any valid reason for using
> > the same prefix as kdelibs, kdebase, kdegames etc... and add more files
> > inside /KDE.
>
> Coherency with other modules?
> - all of KDE installs lowercase includes in $prefix/include, CamelCase ones in
> $prefix/include/KDE
> - kdepimlibs installs lowercase includes in $prefix/include, CamelCase ones in
> $prefix/include/KDEPimLibs
> See the asymmetry/incoherency? Which message to 3rd parties do we give with
> this?

+1, either we change this for _all_ modules (which we can't because we
cannot move kdelibs camelcase headers to include/KDELibs) or we stick with
what we started so far, namely having include/KDE and under that a
subdirectory for each library and the camelcase includes inside that
directory. (Yes, kdelibs doesn't do this for all its libraries, but its too
late to change that).

It also makes checking for headers very nice, as one doesn't have to go
hunting through "n" subdirectories in /usr/include, as they're all inside
KDE. Finding your way through /usr/include on a typical developer machine
is insane, there far too much stuff installed there.

> > The consequence of 2 and 6 is that, even after 3 monthes, some projects
> > still wrongly use KDEPIMLIBS_INCLUDE_DIR where they need
> > KDEPIMLIBS_INCLUDE_DIRS. That just simply breaks the compilation for
> > whoever doesn't install kdepimlibs in the same prefix as kdelibs.
> >
> > I absolutely want to avoid such problems in the future.
>
> This is completely unrelated to choosing $prefix/include/KDE vs
> $prefix/include/KDEPimLibs for installing CamelCase includes.
>
> So, are there other serious reasons, other than that kdepimlibs "looks
> special(?)" wrt the rest of KDE?

I don't see any compelling reason for installing the kdepimlibs headers
anywhere else than include/KDE.

Andreas

--
You will gain money by a fattening action.