KDE/kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed May 6 23:12:35 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> SVN commit 964099 by aseigo:
>
> builds with kdelibs, but -should- also be buildable separately. there's
> still the issue of the FindLibKNotificationItem.cmake file outstanding, or
> does that not matter now that it's in kdelibs/experimental/? build system
> guidance desired. CCMAIL:kde-buildsystem at kde.org
>

>  M  +1 -0      CMakeLists.txt
>  M  +1 -1      experimental/knotificationitem/knotificationitemprivate_p.h
>  M  +5 -4
> experimental/knotificationitem/test/knotificationitemtest.cpp

Ok, so now we have a modular build of kdelibs.

What should be supported ?

1) Building and installing complete kdelibs in one go, and having everything
available by just doing
find_package(KDE4) ?

2) Building and installing kdelibs without experimental, then building and
installing experimental to the same destination, then have everything
available via
find_package(KDE4) ?

3) As 2), but installing experimental/ to a different location ?
I'd vote against this, since then we will have to define rules how to behave
e.g. when kdelibs/ was built and installed completely, and additionally there
is somewhere an extra experimental/

4) As 3, but to have everything available, you have to do
find_package(KDE4)
find_package(KDE4LibsExperimental)
Then it would be quite obvious that these are separate packages and that they
could reside in separate locations. It would also mean that moving something
from experimental to stable kdelibs would be a source incompatible change
(since e.g. the variable names would change from
KDE4LIBSEXPERIMENTAL_KNOTIFICATION_LIBRARY to KDE4_KNOTIFICATION_LIBRARY.
I think supporting this option would also mean that 1) would _not_ be
supported.

I'll have time to do something this weekend.
Including setting up nightly builds for kdelibs-all-in-one and separated.

I'm for supporting options 1) and 2), then the optional parts of kdelibs can
install e.g. a KDELibsExperimentalConfig.cmake file into the install
directory of kdelibs itself, so FindKDe4Internal.cmake will know where to
look for them, instead of starting to search for them, and hoping to find a
good one.