[Patch] Fixing strcasestr detection for glibc-2.9

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon May 4 21:01:12 CEST 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 11:51:49 am David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 25 April 2009, David Faure wrote:
> > This is a bit complex. When compiling string.h with g++, glibc-2.9
> > defines two prototypes for strcasestr, a const one and a non-const one.
> >
> > This makes the check_function_exists fail because it tries to compile code that
> > says "&strcasestr" -- which is ambiguous because of the overload.
> >
> > Some have said this is a cmake bug and it should be fixed in cmake so that it doesn't
> > take the address of the function but does something more close to what autoconf did.
> >
> > Not knowing the reasons for the cmake implementation, I chose a simpler approach:
> > since string.h defines __CORRECT_ISO_CPP_STRING_H_PROTO when it defines
> > both versions of strcasestr, we can just check for that. Not as easy as it sounds though,
> > because check_symbol_exists runs gcc and not g++ (in which case string.h doesn't
> > do all that magic, it's in #ifdef __cplusplus).
> >
> > So I had to fork check_symbol_exists into a check_cxx_symbol_exists which uses a .cxx
> > extension instead of a .c extension.
> >
> > cmake guys: could check_symbol_exists take an option for the extension to use, maybe?
> >
> > Meanwhile, ok with this patch for kdelibs?
>
> No feedback. Should I just commit this ugly fork and forget about it? ;-)

I'd rather we replace the very few uses of strcasestr with QString or QByteArray usage.
There are only 2 places it is used: in kdepimlibs/kmime and kdeadmin/lilo-config
(according to lxr.kde.org)

I volunteer to deal with kdepimlibs/kmime

If using Qt isn't good enough, I have no objections to the ugly fork.