Modular building of kde modules

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 18 01:10:28 CET 2009

Adding fedora-devel ;-).

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Somewhat OT, but one thing I would really appreciate is if I could
>> install kcalc without dragging in the entire bulk of cups due to
>> printer-applet. (This is partly a Fedora problem, however; IOW, I wish
>> they'd split kdeutils - and, for that matter, kdepim - into smaller bites.)
>
> Yes, that's a problem of Fedora.
> I just checked, in kdeutils/ each subdirectory is added using
> macro_optional_add_subdirectory(),
> i.e. there is an option which can be used to enable/disable each subdirectory
> individually, e.g. you can enable BUILD_kcalc and disable all other BUILD_*
> options and then only kcalc will be included in the build.

Unfortunately, I don't think this helps in this instance. When building
RPM's, I don't think there is an easy way to do multiple *builds* from a
single source (which is the solution methodology you are proposing).
What you can do (and is often done) is split a single build into
multiple RPM's at the file level. Therefore I'm not sure KDE needs to
change anything.

> Actually of course it would be even nicer if you could just check out
> kdeutils/kcalc/ and just build that, but that requires more (although
> basically boilerplate) work from the developers.

This would be the alternative to the above, but as you say, more work
for developers. Plus it means you must split *every* subdir into its own
RPM, which probably isn't ideal.

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests