find_package(Foo REQUIRED)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Jun 16 23:21:37 CEST 2009

Howdy,

Maybe this should be a feature of cmake itself.. but I wish for
find_package(Foo REQUIRED) to print a nicer message
if Foo is not found.

We have the macro_log_feature() stuff for the optional packages
which creates the nice summary at the end of the cmake run,
but when required FOO is not found all we get is a terse error and quit.

I wonder.. can we overload find_package() with a COMMENT option?
i.e.
find_package(Foo REQUIRED COMMENT "Foo is a critical library and this software
cannot be build without it. Please install Foo <http://www.foo.org> version 2.9 or higher")

and have the COMMENT printed on termination?

Or maybe there is already something like this and I'm not seeing it?

-Allen