Setting paths which depend on CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Jun 6 10:40:27 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:20:25AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > However I don't think defaulting to the kde install prefix is a good
> > idea
>
> I disagree. Back in the kde3 days I made the autoconf stuff do exactly that.
> "checking where to install... /d/kde/inst/kde3 (as returned by kde-config) "
>
> This is because otherwise your KDE app won't even start, if it uses
> parts or plugins. You need to set $KDEDIRS somewhere that kde startup
> will read, and rerun kbuildsycoca4, when you use another prefix than
> your KDE install prefix. So in general it's much easier to install every
> kde app into the KDE install prefix.

that's a sign that the plugin system needs to be fixed, not that
the build system should be screwed up to compensate for it.
specifically, installing kde to another prefix than qt and still having
qt see kde plugins works just fine. copying that behavior sounds like a
fairly obvious and not particularly hard to implement feature.