Setting paths which depend on CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 18:00:53 CEST 2009

On 05.06.09 14:44:36, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Friday 5 June 2009 11:42, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 05.06.09 10:20:25, David Faure wrote:
> >> You need to set $KDEDIRS somewhere that kde startup will read, and rerun
> >> kbuildsycoca4, when you use another prefix than your KDE install prefix.
> >> So in general it's much easier to install every kde app into the KDE
> >> install prefix.
> >
> > I expect that people that compile from sources are able to find this
> > particular information in whatever tutorial they follow. Else that
> > tutorial is broken.
>
> In my experience, not everybody who compiles individual packages from
> source knows much about what they are doing, and they certainly don't
> always read even the most obvious instructions on how to do it. So I don't
> think your expectation is correct. There will inevitably be quite a few
> people who just do the basic build + install, and then complain or file
> bug reports (or worse, just give up on the package) when the application
> doesn't work.
>
> > If a user is confronted with make install needing more permissions than he
> > will just run sudo make install. People do that, without thinking because
> > it'll get them a result in no time.
> >
> > In fact IMHO every of our tutorials should suggest to install into
> > $HOME/foobar and then set KDEDIRS+run kbuildsycoca4.
>
> This requires significantly more expertise and - in the eyes of an
> inexperienced user - risk, than a mere build + install needs.

So instead you're suggesting the inexperienced user should screw its
packaging system, where he also doesn't have a clue how to fix it
afterwards and will just file bugreports against other projects?

Sorry, but none of that works in my eyes. If people are not willing to read
even the most basic instructions on how to compile KDE apps, they should
revert to use packages or use some other platform. I'm not willing to
support such people. How come they know how to checkout from svn and use
cmake in the first place if they haven't read some kind of tutorial?

Andreas

--
You will get what you deserve.