Setting paths which depend on CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 5 10:20:25 CEST 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> However I don't think defaulting to the kde install prefix is a good
> idea

I disagree. Back in the kde3 days I made the autoconf stuff do exactly that.
"checking where to install... /d/kde/inst/kde3 (as returned by kde-config) "

This is because otherwise your KDE app won't even start, if it uses
parts or plugins. You need to set $KDEDIRS somewhere that kde startup
will read, and rerun kbuildsycoca4, when you use another prefix than
your KDE install prefix. So in general it's much easier to install every
kde app into the KDE install prefix.

But of course if it should be done, then this shouldn't be done by kalarm
alone but rather by FindKDE4Internal.cmake for all kde apps.

> will screw their /usr directory.

How? Typically "make install" as user is not able to write into root-owned /usr.
So it has to be intentionnal, anyway, in that setup.