objections against requiring cmake >= 2.6.3 IF kdelibs has been built with cmake >= 2.6.3 ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 08:59:22 CET 2009

Hi,

I'd like to require that if somebody builds and installs
kdelibs/kdepimlibs/kdebase using cmake >= 2.6.3,  then all other packages
using these kdelibs/kdepimlibs/kdebase also have to be built using cmake >=
2.6.3.

Reason: current 2.6 branch and cvs HEAD of cmake have an additional search
directory for cmake Config.cmake files, which packagers prefer.
E.g. kdepimlibs can install its Config.cmake file there
(lib/cmake/KdepimLibs/ ), this has to be enabled using a cmake OPTION()
(which is only available if cmake > 2.6.2). So if somebody uses cvs HEAD to
install kdepimlibs and enables this option, the kdepimlibs Config.cmake file
won't be found if he uses cmake 2.6.2 later on when building e.g. kdebase.

That's why I'd like to require that if somebody uses a version of cmake >
2.6.2 for building kdelibs/kdepimlibs/kdebase, that he also has to use at
least 2.6.3 for building packages depending on those.

I don't think this should create problems for anybody.
It doesn't force anybody to update cmake.
If a distro decides to use 2.6.3 to build KDE 4.2 in order to have this
option, it will (should) also ship this cmake version so users will use this
for their own packages.
It only creates additional work if somebody has multiple versions of cmake
installed and intentionally uses different versions of them for different
parts of KDE. I don't think it is a problem to require this group of users
(which should be very small) to rebuild some things.