FindQt4 and Mac support

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Dec 4 19:00:01 CET 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009, Mike Arthur wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2009, at 20:33, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Maybe we can think after 4.4 whether there are reasons to increase the
> > required version. We'll need a rough survey which version distributions
> > are shipping.
>
> There's dependencies for 4.4 on versions of packages that aren't even
> packaged on Debian yet. It also depends on Qt 4.6 which is a fairly big
> version jump.
>
> Having a quick look at a few versions currently:
> Debian (stable) : 2.6.0
> Debian (testing + unstable) : 2.8.0
> Ubuntu (intrepid) : 2.6.0
> Ubuntu (jaunty) : 2.6.2
> Ubuntu (karmic) : 2.6.4
> Ubuntu (lucid) : 2.6.4
> Fedora 10: 2.6.2
> Fedora 11: 2.6.3
> Fedora 12: 2.6.4
> Fedora Devel: 2.8.0
> OpenSUSE 11.0: 2.6.0
> OpenSUSE 11.1: 2.6.2
> OpenSUSE 11.2: 2.6.4

Hmm. I'm not sure increasing to 2.6.4 would bring us much. If we increase the
requirement, then I'd actually like to go to 2.8.0 directly, so we get more
of the new stuff.
Let's check after 4.4.0 (i.e. in February or March) again.

> I also had a look at the diffs for some of the files compared to 2.6.2 (our
> current required version). Of the files that exist in KDELibs and CMake: -
> MacroAddFileDependencies contains only comment differences

Cool :-)
Can you remove the file then please from kdelibs/cmake/modules/ ?

> - CheckCXXSourceCompiles/Runs contain differences that could just be
> created by calling the modules with different arguments instead (by
> handling imported targets before inclusion and adding them to
> CMAKE_REQUIRED_INCLUDES)

Ah, that one. No, I think this one has to stay until something is done about
this in cmake. Noone will understand or remember what to do with the imported
targets, they should be transparent to the user.

> I'll do some more comparisons with other CMake versions at some point.
>
> Hope this was vaguely useful.

Yes, it is :-)