playground/base/nepomuk-kde/ontologyimportclient

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Aug 31 13:55:47 CEST 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009, Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Monday 31 August 2009 12:59:02 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 21 August 2009, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > > SVN commit 1014078 by mjansen:
> > >
> > > The file is installed by
> > > kdebase/runtime/nepomuk/ontologies/CMakeLists.txt into
> > > ${DBUS_INTERFACES_INSTALL_DIR} .
> > >
> > > For us that means KDE4_DBUS_INTERFACE_DIR since we don't support
> > > installing kdelibs and kdebase into different prefixes.
>
> We meant kde as a whole. While i tried to install kdelibs and kdebase into
> different prefixes i found a lot of problems that weren't easy to fix.
> Stuff compiled but didn't run. I fixed some of those bugs but went back
> because i did not get a real functional setup that way.
>
> So i talked to david and we came to the conclusion we don't (really)
> support it.
>
> Should i start to install into different prefixes again and try to fix all
> those bugs? Or do we once and for all decide that is not supported.
>
> IIRC strigi / nepomuk had some problems finding their plugins. There were
> others i forgot.

I'll help wherever support from the buildsystem is needed.

> > This sounds like a bug. If you (i.e. ontologyimportclient) don't support
> > kdelibs and kdebase in different directories, then it is broken and will
> >  not build on such systems (e.g. my system and there are more).
>
> I just tried to fix this because it broke many times for me. So i can't
> help you with the other questions.
>
> > There are two options: either keep searching ENV XDG_DATA_DIRS, or also
> >  export the kdebase interface dir when installing kdebase/runtime/ (this
> > is e.g. already done for kdebase/workspace, there is a
> > KDE4WORKSPACE_DBUS_INTERFACES_DIR in KDE4WorkspaceConfig.cmake.in)
>
> Searching XDG_DATA_DIRS will not help iirc. It is not set for most of us so
> the user/developer has to set it manually. So the
> KDE4RUNTIME_DBUS_INTERFACES_DIR would be the only solution if you ask me
> because it could work automatically.

Yes, having a KDE4RUNTIME_DBUS_INTERFACES_DIR would be the correct solution.

For now, how about the following:
PATHS ${DBUS_INTERFACES_INSTALL_DIR}
      ${KDE4_DBUS_INTERFACES_DIR}
      ENV XDG_DATA_DIRS

> But we should make a decision what we support installation wise. Document
> it and make a declaration. Currently it's not really known what we support
> and not.

At least from the buildsystem view, installing every module into its own
prefix is (should be) supported. At least whenever I encounter a problem with
this I consider this a bug.