C++ exception support

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Tue Aug 25 00:31:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

with the recent merge of S60 stuff into Qt 4.6 master, Qt gets more picky
about C++ exceptions. While it is no problem to continue building KDE without
exceptions (KDE uses -fno-exceptions) while Qt was built with exceptions
(which is the default behaviour), it will be required to inform Qt about it
when including headers with Qt 4.6.

A special "-DQT_NO_EXCEPTIONS" needs to be defined when you disable
exceptions, according to Thiago. Without this flag, KDE fails to compile.
Setting this define should have also been done for Qt 4.5, but since KDE does
not use the QtXmlPatterns module, this was not a problem before.

I already committed r1015193 for kdesupport, but I am sure the fix in other
modules isn't that simple because of the KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS define, which
would have to both set "-fexceptions", as well as undefine any
previous "-DQT_NOEXCEPTIONS".

Maybe there should be a new kde4_enable_exceptions() cmake macro that does the
work, instead of using the simple define, but I leave that (and the actual
work to implement that macro) to buildsystem experts.

Thanks,
Christoph Feck (kdepepo)
(not subscribed to kde-buildsystem)