Broken RPATH/RUNPATH in kdepim/console/kabc2mutt

Maciej Mrozowski reavertm at wp.pl
Fri Apr 10 06:37:14 CEST 2009

On Friday 10 of April 2009 01:53:07 Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Dne pátek 10 Duben 2009 01:35:29 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> *snip*
>
> > > Regarding kdepim, why not just install kabc2mutt as symlink to
> > > kabcclient?
> >
> > Because at least one platform of KDE4 doesn't support symlinks.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Wont it be smart to actualy use symlinks where they work and use the
> current system only when needed?

> Out of curiosity what platform dont support symlinks (when i think of
> linux/BSD/Windows all supports them)

Well, on Windows one can still use FAT32 (but the same applies to other
platforms as well).
Those who researched the topic will see that in kdepim/console/kabcclient
there's already
if (NOT WIN32)
  install ( RENAME )
else (NOT WIN32)
 compile again with different executable name and install
fi (NOT WIN32)

@Andreas
Yes, you are missing sth :) - the fact I mentioned that Gentoo fixes missing
RPATH entries, that's why in attached scanelf output they are fine.
Still there is *difference* in RPATH sections between source executable, and
"renamed" one, and should be the case for operation called RENAME.
One can build kdepim/console/kabcclient and use some elf utils to display
RPATH
Of course if any, it's cmake bug and I should probably report it there.
As far as kdepim is concerned, symlink would be the best here, unfortunately I
have no idea how to reliably create one in cmake. i guess it would need at
least two steps:
- create relative symlink in current (for target executable - build) dir
- install symlink as FILE to ${BINARY_DIR}
Reliably here I mean by not trying to jump out of sandboxed (not fakeroot)
install environment (which is often a case when absolute paths are used - at
least with we need to workaround create_exe_symlink.cmake in trunk versions of
system-config-printer-kde and printer-applet - strangely enough in 4.2.2 they
work fine with sandbox).

--
regards
MM