Problem building koffice on an 64bit opensuse 11.0

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Sun Sep 7 18:07:45 CEST 2008

I hate to say it but it is probably a good idea to ignore my ramblings in such
cases for some days.

I think i completely understand the problem now.

We use --fatal-warnings which means that warning "skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/libGL.so when searching for -lGL" becomes an error and the linker
stops. If i remove that it links.

So the questions is who triggers the warning? The problems is GraphicsMagicks
pkgconfig file. The package i have installed here has the following snippet on
the Libs line: "-l/usr/lib64 -l/usr/lib -l/usr/lib64 -l/usr/lib". This is
absolutely unnecessary because the linker would use the correct directory
anyway. So here is the first bug imho.

pkgconfig tries to help and removes the two "-l/usr/lib64" arguments because
this is the "system lib dir" and it is pointless to provide id. You can see
that with "pkg-config GraphicsMagick --debug --libs". It removes one of the "-
l/usr/lib" because it's provided two times. I think we could say this is bug
number 2. it should remove /usr/lib on 64 bit systems and /usr/lib64 on 32 bit
systems when it find them. Is there any chance you link against libs from
/usr/lib on a 64 bit system or vice versa?

So the "-l/usr/lib" finds its way into the linker command and i get my error.

I just fixed the GraphicsMagick.pc file and everything compiles smoothly.
Anyone an idea where to file a bug? With opensuse or GraphicsMagick?

Mike

--
Michael Jansen

http://www.michael-jansen.biz