what on earth am i doing here?

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 00:18:46 CET 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Thursday 20 November 2008, Orville Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Alex invited me to pop on by, as I/we on the amarok-mac team (ok, me
>> really) are having issues packaging it up on that platform (os x).
>> After lurking for a few days I think I can conclusively say:
>> a) this list is massively boring. Don't take that as an insult, it's
>> just that if something can't hold my interest I'm not going to stay
>> around.
>> b) I still have no clue how you do that voodoo that you do, or even
>> what it is you do.
>>
>> In conclusion, I don't see there being much I, as a mere packaging
>> monkey, can do to improve things on the mac side of things.
>
> As I understood your post, you'd like to be able to generate OSX
> packages
> directly from cmake.
Actually what I'd like is to not have things like kio_whatever.so
fubar the install when I move them within an app bundle. From my
experience kdeinit4 seems to only be able to load certain files from
the cmake_install_prefix.
Essentially I want to be able to drop kdelibs into an os x app bundle,
install_name_tool** it and be done.

> So, first question, I guess you tried, what happened ?
>
> Alex
No, I didn't try. Didn't know this was currently possible. I was under
the impression it required Cpack which i a) don't know how to use and
b) haven't seen any mention of in the 4.1 apps i've been packaging.
i.e. no incentive to attempt learning about it yet.

Oh, and I'm subscribed to the list. No need to CC me ;-)

** install_name_tool allows you to change the location that a library
being linked to is loaded from.