Linking questions

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Nov 20 22:29:16 CET 2008

Hi,

I think the reduced linking stuff is already active for win32, at least I
get a lot of new linking errors trying to compile kdevelop. For libraries
which until now were included in some of the kdevplatform libraries that
the targets in question already link against.

Thats not a big deal, though a bit annoying right now. Whats bothering me
is: Some of the fixes I'm doing now for this might be uneeded later on when
the kdevplatform libs have their link interface set correctly.

Lets take an example: kdevplatform/language creates a library that
extensively uses stuff from the KTextEditor library in kdelibs. Hence (if I
understood this stuff correctly) I'd include the KTextEditor library in the
link-interface of the language library.

However to fix the linking right now, I need to add both libs to a target,
lets say kdevelops cppduchain test, that mainly uses symbols from the
language library.

The question I'm asking myself: Once kdevplatform/language does have a
proper link interface (I'll hopefully get around to that soon), do I have
to remove all those additional libraries again from targets that don't use
symbols from them? I mean if I understood things correctly the idea of this
whole thing is that the test-target would only directly link against the
libs it uses symbols from, not anything else. Which would mean I'd have to
go through everything and remove the "extra" libs again, right?

Andreas

--
You'll be sorry...