wildcards in DEPENDS

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Tue Nov 18 12:57:49 CET 2008

Hi,

is it portable to use wildcards in DEPENDS? Like in
add_custom_command(OUTPUT ${_automoc_source}
         COMMAND ${AUTOMOC4_EXECUTABLE}
         DEPENDS ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/*
         COMMENT ""
         VERBATIM
         )

This seems to be a better solution to get automoc4 to run whenever it's needed
(I'll add some more dependencies than the above, but the * part is what I'm
wondering about).

I have the feeling my --touch hack is too fragile for the real world, as can
be seen with the many problem reports about kwordwraptest. It happens because
the timestamps of kwordwraptest_automoc.cpp and
kwordwraptest_automoc.cpp.files tell make that automoc4 doesn't need to run.
Though my intention was that .files is always more recent than the .cpp...