moving automoc to kdesupport

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 00:16:10 CET 2008

On Saturday 15 March 2008, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > They would be _much_
> > better if automoc would use only the STL (that would also make building
> > Qt with cmake easier).
>
> True. But that means rewriting it almost completely... (and QProcess is not
> easy to replace in a portable way).

Yes, QProcess is probably the hard one. Kitware has a lot of stuff in their
kwsys library, also a cross platform process, but I think this one is not
that powerful.

> > I think it should be possible to use it also from other build tools, but
> > I guess Scons does the work in python, qmake has the feature, what about
> > autotools and Qt4 ?
>
> Well the kde4automoc.cpp code calls cmake, but I noticed now
> that it's just for details indeed (colorized output).

Yes.

Beside that, I think cmake should natively be able to parse pkgconfig files
instead of relying on the pkg-config executable, which won't work e.g. for
cross compiling :-/
And it would fix the issues where the pkgconfig files are just not correct.
And it would make it faster.