automoc4 from kdesupport now supported for building KDE

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jun 3 22:20:24 CEST 2008

Brad King wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
>> On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Brad King wrote:
>>> CMake will then just load a file that tells it exactly
>>> where libraries are located (i.e. full paths to the library files).
>> ... as long as it finds that file in the first place, so I'm not sure this changes anything, in fact.
>> Autodetection wanted when possible, manual setting of own prefix otherwise...
>
> The idea is that that one file is found by find_package, which is
> extremely powerful (more powerful than pkgconfig, in fact).  It also
> works well on Windows and OS X (with frameworks too).

Furthermore, the one file can tell CMake where to find all the
libraries, headers, resources, etc. that come with the package.  This
avoids accidental mismatches of header files and libraries.  Switching
from one installation of the package to another requires only one cache
variable to be changed.  Unlike pkgconfig the "one file" can just be
placed inside the package install tree instead of in a special location
in the prefix.  It can also do versioning (i.e. find version 4.1 of the
package).

-Brad