Patch for KDE4Macros to use extra target on Windows

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Jul 19 12:02:20 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 23:38:45 Brad King wrote:
> Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > attached is a patch to use the new automoc macro which adds a new target
> > per default on Windows.
>
> Can someone point me to discussion of the original problem, please?

I think most of this was in german and private mail. So here's a summary:

I changed the automoc4 invocation (ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND) to only depend on one
file (i.e. <target>_automoc.cpp.files). I wanted to achieve that automoc4 gets
called unconditionally, but without creating a new target. That's why a run of
automoc4 now touches the file it depends on, one second after it touches its
output file.
- With that make does what I want: execute automoc4 once per target on every
call to make. If automoc4 decides there's nothing to do it doesn't touch any
files and so make decides not to recompile the output file of automoc4.
- nmake seems to behave different in the last point: it thinks that if the
output of automoc4 is a source file and automoc4 got called it has to
recompile that source file, no matter whether automoc4 changed the timestamp
or not. IIUC nmake internally updates the timestamp of the output source file
and doesn't even look whether that corresponds with what happened on the
filesystem.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de