Split building

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jan 7 22:28:49 CET 2008

Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
>> Please find the .so file (not .so.N, it has to be .so) that is defines
>> it.
>
>I have already done so for other package when tracking down this problem
> and to be honest I don't see the point of doing it again for this
> particular package. I will be happy to do it once I know the reason
> though.

I was trying to find out why your build couldn't find a match for that
symbol. My suspicion was that libkonq.so wasn't being found or instead
that the wrong version had been found.

But I can reproduce the problem locally here by using your command-line
(slightly modified because I'm not on 64-bit). I *really* do not
understand this.

For all I knew of ELF, it should have worked.

We have the following situation:
	libA contains symbol X
	libB links to libA
	libC is what we are building
		libC links to libB
		libC has an undefined reference to X

I had assumed so far that the above situation would work because libA (and
X) would be found indirectly. That is failing for our scenario.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358