-lgeneral

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sat Feb 9 17:12:52 CET 2008

Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008 10:14:13 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> On 09.02.08 10:01:54, Allen Winter wrote:
>>> With a fresh kdepim and CMake 2.4.8 I get -lgeneral added to all link
>>> lines. Of course, there is no such library and the build fails.  I know
>>> others have had similar issues, although I don't know what CMake version
>>> they were using.
>>>
>>> I then installed CMake from today's cvs and kdepim built fine.
>>>
>>> So... is there a bug in CMake 2.4.8?
>> According to Brad this happens only if you mix CMake versions, i.e.
>> generate a builddir with 2.4 and later use 2.6 on it or some such.
>>
> That would make sense.. almost.. I did build with CMake cvs the other day,
> and then changed to CMake 2.4.8 this morning.
>
> However, I removed the entire build dir and still saw the same problem.
>
> Could there be another file hanging around outside the builddir
> that might cause problems?

The problem is that CVS CMake's export_library_dependencies command
includes a "general" keyword in the generated file that CMake 2.4 does
not understand.  If kdelibs was built with CVS CMake then when other
projects are built against it with 2.4 this error occurs.  This is on my
todo list of things to correct before the 2.6 release.

-Brad