reduced link interface: some link breakage possible

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 16 00:07:24 CET 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>  2.) You are probably using symbols from some library which you don't link to
> directly, but which was dragged in via one of the other libraries you link
> to, and these "dragged in" libraries have now been mostly removed.
> In this case, add these missing libraries explicitely to the
> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES() command.
> (because: less dependencies for packages, faster startup, some advantages in
> keeping binary compatiblity).

Doesn't this break SC, i.e. people upgrading to a newer kdelibs (e.g. via their distro)
will suddenly be unable to compile 3rd party kde apps released before KDE 4.2?

Would it help to only enable explicitely in every module that supports it, while leaving
it disabled when compiling ksomeapp?

Or does it break both SC and BC anyway, in which case this wouldn't even help
(e.g. ksomeapp can't link anymore, or 3rd party plasma applets will stop loading...)?

We _have_ to provide some stability in the build system... breaking SC and/or BC
is really not going in the right direction.